The guidelines to participate in the International Junior Science Olympiad are set in place to ensure a fair and fun competition. Competitors in the International Junior Science Olympiad swear an oath at the beginning of the competition to answer the theoretical an practical competition questions in the most responsible way and to compete honestly and fair. Apart from the intention to play fair, the set of rules and guidelines listed here applies to all participants.
1) Participants must agree with and accept the conditions as stated in the statutes from IJSO. A pdf document with the statues can be found at: http://www.ijsoweb.org/qna/Statutes20140324.pdf
2) A normal team consists of six students and three leaders. If a normal team cannot be fulfilled, a minimum team of three students and one leader is allowed to participate in IJSO. Teams consisting of less than three members do not classify for team awards.
3) The age of the competitors is fifteen years or younger on the 31st of December of the competition year.
4) A student is eligible to represent his/her country if he/she holds a valid passport of that country or is in the education system of that country for at least one academic year.
5) Participants are not allowed to use their own collection of formulae from mathematics, chemistry, physics, etc. during the competition.
6) Each participating country that has either participated with a team or sent an observer to the IJSO in one of the previous two years, is invited to send a delegation of six students and three team leaders.
7) Countries who want to join IJSO after it has reached the number of fifty member countries have to start by sending an observer to the IJSO at least once before they participate for the first time.
8) The hosting country has the right to participate with two national teams.
9) Each participating country may submit six multiple choice problems (two for each subject: physics, chemistry and biology) for task one, one theoretical problem for each subject for task two and one experimental problem for task three to the Host Country of IJSO. The complete solution of each problem must also be submitted.
10) Participating countries agree to pay the participation fee at the time that the host country decides, obey all the rules of the IJSO statutes and any additional rules made by the Host Country for the ongoing event.